Monday, December 17, 2012

Another Look At Porfilio Bustillo, #3 - Cement Trim As Faux Stone



This is the 3rd post in a row on the work of mason Porfirio Bustillo.

Please refer to the 2 previous posts to more easily follow along:
Now I want to show how he gives his decorative cement work 
a finish that resembles carved cantera stone.

[Please note: I originally wrote this post in February, 2011
and I am taking a look back at some of my older posts
that may have been missed by current readers.]

He starts with crushed cantera stone that is common 
in the Alamos, Sonora area.

It is a soft stone that is easy to crush into a powder with a hammer.


To that he adds this polymer adhesive.

I assumed that it must be similar to
 the latex or acrylic masonry admixes that I use in the states.


He adds some water to get a paint consistency... 


...and simply paints it on in a relatively thick coat.

He may apply two or more coats as needed.


And I will show this photo for the third time to show the results.


And I will show this doorway one more time
to show the finished results.

The exterior wall needs to have a finish coat applied
 which I hope to show later.

The complete series on Porfirio's work is: