Friday, September 23, 2011

Carved Stone In Mexico



I love working with stone and I love carved stone,
but I have never been a stone carver;
 but in our travels around Mexico in the last couple of years we
 have run across some beautiful work that I would like to share.

Please Note: this is a reworking of the post




These first three photos were taken in Tzintzuntzan, Michoacan
 just north of Patzcuaro.

I suspect most of this is cantera stone.


When I think of Mexican carved stone
 I usually think of religiously inspired work such as the saint on the far left above 
but what I like about this group are the whimsical nature of some of the pieces.


The next five photos are from Guanajuato, Guanajuato.

The reddish piece of stone that is being worked on is a local stone.


The work here is of a bit more serious nature.








Above and the two details below are from the 
Templo del Senor de Villaseca also in Guanajuato.




Incredible detail.


And finally this last photo is in Zacatcas, Zacatecas.

 For more see the post:
or go to the LABELS on the right sidebar and click on:
Stonework,
Stonework in Mexico,
or Sculpture.